Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Interracial

I am white, married to a black man for 27 years this month, and I write books with 'brown' kids as the main characters for my kids and other kids like them. I have a bunch of Google Alerts on different topic. A couple of weeks ago, I made a Google Alert for 'interracial.' What I started getting was not what I expected.

Just about everything that came up was for interracial dating and sex. Maybe other people could have forseen that, but being of a clean mind, I thought it would come up with incidents where people of different races cooperated together to accomplish good things. What is wrong with our society, that the interracial relationships that come up are titilating? Are we still judging people by the color of their skin in a smutty way?

First of all, the amount of groups that feature websites or Facebook pages where people of different races can meet is much larger than I thought. There are many who are just for people who date people who are black or white. What happened to wanting to know someone because of their personality and interests? Why would a person's skin color indicate what they are like to date?

I did not date my husband because he was a black man, and I do not have a fetish for black men, though I have met some people who only date someone of a different color. They have looked at me and thought that I shared their narrow view, but there is a difference between dating someone who is black and dating someone just because they are black, for instance.

It was Martin Luther King, Jr. who talked about his four children, saying that he wished that they would live in a world where they would not be judged by the color of their skin, but for the content of their character. I, too am waiting for that day, but by looking at the Internet, it is a long way off.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Chaz... Just made it over from GoodReads, and I'm looking forward to exploring your blog some more! :)

    ReplyDelete