Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Yes, That's My Husband ~ Before the Wedding

When I met my husband, Buzz, 27 years ago, my family disapproved of me marrying outside my race. It was a huge decision for me, but I decided to go ahead and marry him anyway. We started planning an October wedding - nothing fancy, we planned to get married at our church and have a reception downstairs afterward. I started planning decorations and the logistics of everything when my sisters told me that no one from our side of the family was going to the wedding.

What? I had been to a lot of weddings in my family and never thought that they would not come to mine. This was the first time that Buzz and I had ever been married. I wanted a wedding dress, a church filled with people, a wedding cake, and to be able to dance with my husband at the reception. What was I going to do?

I told Buzz and he did not know what to do, either. It was shocking to think that my family and friends of the family I had known most of  my life would not attend. We decided to talk to the minister about it at our next pre-marital class.

When my department manager found out the news, she told me frankly that if it were she, she would go ahead and get married anyway. She would either have the wedding and see who showed up, or she would elope.

Elope? We could do that except I always wanted to be married in my church. Could we elope and have the minster marry us there? I asked Buzz and he thought it was a great idea. Our last class with the minister was on Friday, June 15 at 7:30 pm. We asked the reverend if he could meet us at the church and marry us there, and he agreed. You see, we had been going to pre-marital classes and he saw how compatable we were. He also knew us from attending church.

On June 15, I worked all day until 4 pm. Only my department manager knew that I was getting married that night. I left work, picked up the flowers, and went home to the new apartment where I was staying.

In my next blog, I will talk about the things that started going wrong, which Buzz and I find hilarious to recount.

No comments:

Post a Comment