Monday, February 25, 2013

Thanks, I'll Make it Myself - Earrings

I love clothes and especially accessories. Sometimes, I will decide on an accessory first and select clothes compliment it, which is backwards but fun. Over the years, I have learned to create things because I either cannot find what I want or I don't have oodles of money to buy something I want. I realized the other day that I have a lot of earrings. First, I started out by making necklaces and things  naturally evolved to create earrings to match.

 These are most of the earrings I have made for myself. Sometimes I select beads that I like and other times they are picked because of the color.

Some beads were expensive so I only made earrings while others were on sale or from inexpensive bags that I bought.

Even though you can't tell from the photo, the brownish red beads on one pair (second from left) look like bears.

The light really catches the round orange ones that remind me of marbles (third from the left) and the orange teardrop ones beside them are from an old necklace of my mother's from the 1960's. I remade the broken necklace from a short, multi strand choker type to a very long necklace that gives me more options and made the earrings to match.

The turquoise ones to the left of those are one of my favorites and fun to wear!

I suppose you can tell by now that I prefer dangling earrings to studs. Even before I made my own, I preferred dangling ones.

On the bottom row, the set on the far left are some that I made to go with a necklace that I created. I have a lot of necklaces that have an African inspired theme.

I made the teal set beside those because I liked the beads so much and I like to wear teal. That is a pair that I select at times and decide on my outfit afterward.

The ones on the far right bottom row I made to go with a beautiful velvet scarf that is a rich golden color, with teal and periwinkle designs in it. They look like an unusual color combination until I put the scarf with them. (You can see them better in a photo below.)

Starting on the far left; I wore the leopard print set a lot when I was doing book signings for my first book "Travels to Fahdamin-Ra" because it has a leopard on the cover. I have a leopard print scarf I wear with them.

I made the carp set because I fell in love with the fish and decided to make them very simple. I tend to wear them more in the summer, when I wear light green.

One fun pair is the set in the middle with the red cubes and long gold tassels. I find myself absent-mindedly playing with those when I wear them.

The red beads at the far right are beads made from clay that has been glazed and fired.

On the bottom row to the left are the gold and crystal ones that are perfect because they go with everything and catch the light.

I love yellow and the yellow set is fun to wear any time of the year. I found those beads at JoAnn's Fabrics and I should pick up some more and make a necklace because I like them so much. This is making me want to go make some more!

No comments:

Post a Comment